Saturday 18 February 2012

The rain, the rain ...


This morning we recorded some of the sound effects and background songs for the show. These actors are fabulous – The Lord Is My Shepherd sung in Chichewa in 4 part harmony seems to be so easy for them and it sounds magnificent. This is for the scene in which some of the condemned prisoners are taken away to be executed. In Mikuyu this happened every six months and no one knew whether it their name that was to be called, or whether they could live for another six months. Finding a way to do this scene has been tricky, but I think it’s going to work.

I’m now sitting in a café having eaten my nsima (thick maize porridge) and fried chicken, listening to the torrential rain on the tin roof. Which is leaking. My computer keeps doing strange things so I am now worried that the damp is getting to it. I will be backing up everything to my external hard drive this evening, not a moment too soon for my peace of mind.

The rain means we can’t work – the stage is waiting for it’s roof (should be up tomorrow ready for rehearsals on Monday) and the room at The Warehouse leaks so badly that we may as well be outside. So we’re waiting for the rain to stop, and judging by the huge crash of thunder and flash of lightning that just happened, it may take some time.

Maybe I’ll use the time to ring Brown Mpinganjira …

No comments: