Saturday 25 February 2012

Day off

After three weeks of working, I decided that this was the weekend I could come away from Blantyre, if only for one night, so made the three hour drive to Nkhudzi Bay to stay with my friend Carrie.

Bliss. I am now sitting on her khonde (covered patio) looking across the lawn to the lake at the bottom of her garden. This morning we had a swim before breakfast which was lovely; although there was an added frisson because yesterday we heard that a crocodile has been basking on the rocks just a few hundred metres away. Fortunately our neighbours had also decided on an early morning swim, so I reasoned that a hungry croc was not likely to swim past them to pick me for his breakfast.

When I got here yesterday morning, I met for the first time a lovely lady who I have heard much about over the years. June Walker, mother of a friend of mine, Chris, has been living in Malawi since the early fifties. Her husband worked for both the colonial government and in Banda’s first post-independence government. He was greatly disapproved of by the British, as he was deemed to have ‘gone native’. An interesting lady, we had a most enjoyable lunch and a lot of laughter. In spite of her insistence that she is definitely in her ‘third age’ and slowing down, she seemed as sharp as either Carrie or I (although I had to teach her how to switch her new smart phone on!).

I have a few hours now before heading back to Blantyre. It’s time to sort out the lighting plot and get the sound cues in order. My main concern at the moment is costume; but that’s something for the production meeting in the morning. One week to go!

No comments: